Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Running for the Border!

Well, my 90 day tourist Visa is almost expired, so I am off to Nicaragua for a few days. This is what we illegal workers here refer to as the "border run," and fortunately there are many like me who also must exit the country every 90 days, so I have others to travel with. Contrary to my father's poor perceptions of Nicaragua as nothing but a 3rd world country, I have heard many wonderful reviews of the country, some actually prefer Nicaragua to Costa Rica. Though the people, commonly referred to as "Nicas" are affected much more profoundly by poverty, the average Nicaraguan living off a mere $2/day, Nicaragua is much less affected by tourism, large scale resorts, and North American culture than is Costa Rica. We will first be travelling to La Isla de Ometepe, an island in the center of Lake Nicaragua that is home to two large volcanoes. After two nights on the island, we will head to San Juan del Sur to hit the beaches and the fiestas of Semana Santa (the holy week, when locals and tourists alike flock to the beaches- San Juan del Sur is a Semana Santa hot spot!)
I will be sure to take photos, though I have been warned against brining along my nice digital SLR because apparently in Nicaragua cameras are the "thing" to steal....so I will bring along my slight less functional canon. Muchas besas por todos!


Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers